Pass your mouse over a photo
for a brief description
Click on the photo to obtain
a full-size image
The present cathedral organ can be traced back to 1894 when William Hill built a new organ but incorporating some pipework from previous instruments, including those built by Thomas Thamer (1661) and Kellingburgh (1735).
The main organ is situated in the north triforium, behind a case designed by Dr Arthur Hill. The console was originally placed in a gallery north of the choir stalls but during the 1930 rebuild was moved to a gallery on the south side following the introduction of electro-pneumatic action.
Like other Hill organs of the period, it was originally tuned considerably sharper than modern concert pitch, which naturally caused a problem when concerts were held in the cathedral involving the organ and other instruments. During 2015/6, Harrisons carried out the painstaking task of lower the pitch of all 5286 pipes. While some of the shorter pipes could be re-tuned in situ using the usual tuning slides, many of the longer pipes had to be removed to the workshop and individually extended by eg soldering on a small extra piece of metal.